Monday, October 21, 2013

Another Week

Drilled my first hole.  


It is exactly how it sounds.

This week, I spent my time looking at works of Maria Rubinke.  She lives in Denmark. I enjoy her work because of the combination of children and horrific imagery. Very sublime and romantic. It is excessively entertaining! I have been following her processes and shows (online of course) for about a year or so now. We are 'friends' on Facebook, that must mean something right? (haha, not really). 
It just happens I took another look this week, so close to halloween.  Perhaps, I may find inspiration for a costume... or a complete costume within one of her works.

I have been thinking a lot about the concepts and contentions of my work so far on my senior art show project. I think I have been thinking much too narrow and thats why I stumble over my words when people ask, "BUT! What does it mean?!?!

Well, like most of my works and my peers, my artwork relates to the contemporary times and what I know. It is about college life and different changes people may go through. It may seem a bit high school at first, however, most people are done with the physical changes and their hormones are starting to stabalize. Maybe. Our brains don't fully develop until the age of 25 or 26 years old... why are we expected to be adults once we are 18?

College seems less and less about academics (beyond working your ass off to get into graduate school) and more about developing oneself as a person. Students grow socially and dig deeper in the philosophies, theories, and abstract/critical ways of thinking. 

My work experiments with gender, alcohol use, various types of masks (how one presents themself) and how we are molding ourselves constantly. My work may also travel down a more narrow pathway and stop to smell of the flowers of voyeurism, commodity, binge-drinking, etc; however, I think I want to challenge myself to work in more broad terms. Many times I get caught up in the details of my concepts and don't spend enough time actually constructing my piece. I want to build on my craftsmanship for this piece rather than focusing too much energy onto my concept. It stresses me out.

I drilled holes in 6 various types of bottles- liquor, wine and beer. All success, no breaks, cracks or shards in the eyeball (of course, I had gloves and protective eyewear on). I also made two potentials labels using photoshop and the photos I took last weekend. Finding beer/wine/liquor names is turning out to be quite easy by just taking a passive listen to conversations around me when I visit the campus bar.






No comments:

Post a Comment